Raising a kid and going to WDW. A lot.

The Weekly Peanut, Issue 179

The Weekly Peanut, Issue 179

We seem to (knock on wood) be reaching a state of relative peace when it comes to food in the household (specifically, dinner and vegetables). We make the dinner, we put out a portion for Daphne, and we put it on the table. Then we let her decide if she's going to eat it.  She has to sit with us while Ian and I eat and discuss our day, but we don't make her eat. Even when we're done, if she wants to go play for a while, she can. I just remind her how much time she has until shower time, and that she won't be getting anything to eat once shower time arrives. If she still doesn't eat, then I know she's not hungry. Most of the time? By 6:30 she's at the table by herself, chowing down, without me having to cajole her through every freaking bite. 

Ideal? Perhaps not. But it's doing wonders for all of our state of mind at the dinner table.  D's fully reverted into that attitude of everything having to be her idea. Please be a phase, please be a phase...

D's obsessed with breakfast sandwiches.  Thank goodness we can get them in bulk at Costco, because she's not into cereal much at all right now (those breakfast sandwiches have also proved a great incentive to keeping D polite and positive in the mornings). Most mornings you will find her at our kitchen table, nibbling away while narrating the ongoing saga of Rey, BB8, and Tiana.

I picked up D from school early Friday, because it was finally time for her official 4 year old check up at the pediatrician.  We got to see Dr. Smith this time, the same doctor that saw Daphne at her very first checkup out of the hospital (and who reminds me so much of Mr. Rogers crossed with my high school calculus teacher). D was at her absolute charming best.  She took a hearing test (the kind with the headphones where you raise your hand? She even raised the hand of the ear that had the tone without being asked. I was impressed.). She has maintained her height and weight percentile perfectly (70th and 50th, respectively). She charmed the daylights out of her male nurse, who kept giving her stickers. She aced all her development milestones. Any concerns we had about her eating or behavior were dismissed as "completely normal." Then came the bad news: shots. D hasn't had shots in a long time, and it was time to have FOUR boosters (the good news is she wouldn't need shots again until she was probably 10+).  I explained what was happening to her, warned her what would happen, that it would hurt but it would stop, that my sweet brave girl could get a treat when it was over (A LOLLIPOP?!).  She laid back and I draped myself across her torso.  The first needle hit. Her smile fell. Second needle. The look of betrayal and dismay is one I will never forget. Third needle. The face is scrunching up.  Brave girl is trying SO HARD not to cry, but the whimpers are starting. The fourth hits and she's finally squirming, but it's all done now. "MOMMYYYY OWWW. MOMMY DAT HURRRRRRT! DAT WAS OWIEEEE! I DON'T WANT SHOTS!" It's done, kiddo. "NO! I DON'T LIKE THIS! I DON'T WANT TO GO TO DA DOCTOR! OWIEEEEE!" I wonder if the nurse used to work at Disney as he continued to hand stickers to my kid until she calmed down.

She made me carry her out. She pretended her legs were paralyzed.  A flair for the dramatic indeed. "It's alright kiddo, you don't have to have shots again for a long time." "No. No more shots. I don't like dis place. I don't like dis doctor. I don't want to come back here. Not ever. Not ever." This was the refrain I had all the way to the car until I found a dumdum in my purse. She continued to be subdued throughout the car ride and at the house, wanting to be hugged and carried.  We decided to treat her to Azteca.  She perked right up when she found out she could have chips WITH HER PLATE FULL OF SALT AND PEPPER (she had me refill the plate multiple times and she dumped it over her mac and cheese, too).

The doctor told us her reaction to the shots would likely be similar to past reactions, but with far less likelihood of fever or other physical side effects.  Indeed, D was extremely lethargic and went to bed that night with no battles and was asleep within 10 minutes of hitting the mattress.

In honor of our brave kiddo, we asked her what SHE would like to do Saturday. "I go to Hollywood Studios. Dat my favorite park." Poor Ian. After a small battle over what she would wear (she wanted to wear the giant glittery heavy Princess Aurora dress, I suggested the weather would be more appropriate to wear one of her new Star Wars halters), she finally settled on one of her new birthday dresses from Jeanna and Bella. I think it was her twirling test that finally got her on board for that. Also getting to wear her new Storm Trooper Minnie ears. Then I had to plan out our FastPasses.  D has been asking to ride Tower of Terror for a long time, but I've been very hesitant (anyone who's ridden it will understand why).  While my kid is pretty fearless, this would be a physical and dark experience that isn't particularly comparable to any other ride she's been on. D insisted, so we grabbed a fastpass for it to be our first stop of the day. She charged happily up through the line queue, loved all the decor (very early exposure to Haunted Mansion has left my kid pretty desensitized to ghost/creep factor). I explained to her exactly what would happen with the drops, that it was ok if she was scared, that mommy and daddy would be right next to her and that, no matter how scary it may be, that she would be perfectly safe and nothing bad would happen.  We loaded onto the elevator. I caught her covering her eyes once or twice during the ghost part, but nothing beyond what she does sometimes on Pirates of the Caribbean. Then came the test. The drop.

She definitely was not prepared, despite my best efforts.  Ian and I spent the whole time talking her through it, I made sure to laugh and make light of it as much as possible, but she had a DEATH GRIP on both of our arms, and I was very surprised to feel her trembling (though no tears or sounds of distress). All I could think was "Mea culpa! I took my brave toddler too far! I've done long term psychological damage!" The falling stopped, and D instantly sat up and dropped our arms as if the trembling had never happened. She looked around. So... what'd you think, kid? "Mommy... dat was SCARY!" But... did you like it? "Yes." Really? Want to do it again? "NO! We can't right now!" No, not right now, but another day? "Uhhhh I don't know." This is the SAME EXACT REACTION she had the first time she rode the Barnstormer. She waited a month, went on it again, and loved it.  D's friend Ava also did Tower of Terror for the first time that day and loved it.  I have a sneaking suspicion that if Ava asked her to go on it again, she would, and she'd probably love it. 

"Mommy I was SO brave." Yes, yes kiddo you were very brave.  I should have known that wouldn't be the end of the discussion about her bravery.  The lethargy continued, but with no complaints from Ian or myself since it meant D wanted to cuddle pretty much the whole day. In fact, she was relatively quiet and polite. Yeah, who is this kid?

We had Star Tours fastpasses ready to go, but when D saw that Jedi Training was happening, she wouldn't let us go in until the show is over. Making Ian and I melt while she cheers for Vader and the Inquisitor is her favorite thing at Hollywood Studios.

D was NOT the rebel spy.

We checked out the Path of the Jedi movie. It's a 10 minute movie through Luke's journey to be a jedi, covering all the movies. What I liked about it is that for D (who has seen these movies out of order and spread out over months) it seemed to really succinctly summarize all the relationships in the film in a way she could understand and thread together.  Also air conditioning.

I jokingly mentioned Olaf's meet space (since D has continually shut me down since that first time she wanted nothing to do with him). Imagine my surprise when D took me up on the offer. Also no line. NONE.

That third track on Toy Story Midway Mania continues to prove its worth, as the standby wait was only 40 minutes and I'd had no problem getting FastPass for 3.  D rode with Ian this time and managed to bring her score up to 21000.  She'll be beating me soon, I know it.

On the way there we passed the Chinese Theater, and Lilo was out! D loves Lilo, but can usually only meet her at Ohana.  Stopping to say hi was a no brainer. 

After admiring D's Star Wars dress, Daphne instantly launched in to her mantra for the day: how brave she was to go on Tower of Terror.  Every cast member, every person she passed would now get an earful about her show of bravery.

D wanted to go to Launch Bay. We saw the storm troopers patrolling the courtyard and D ran to them to show off her ears.  They approved. (video from daddy)

This time she chose Chewie first. She was quick to point out his place of prominence on her dress. She also opted to leave her stormtrooper ears in Mommy's purse for that meet.

Visited Kylo Ren at the Visa meet for the first time. He was not in a good mood this visit. D still thinks he's silly.

Had a little lunch break and D asked to watch the Star Wars Fashion Show.

But we especially love waving to our Dark Side buddies on their way out.

She did the "HIIEEEEE" thing to Kylo Ren, too. He gave her this cut it out hand gesture. L. O. L. I managed to snag a fourth fastpass for "Mary Poppins ride" at D's request.

Amanda at the FastPass line got to hear all about how brave D was on Tower of Terror. We were pretty ready to leave after that, but D begged to go to the Disney Junior show.  She just wants to grab handfuls of gold dubloons. Lucky for her, a show was starting in 5 minutes.

D surprised us by actively participating in most of the show (especially the Neverland Pirates section). As we were leaving D asked to go see her boyfriend. "Mommy, my boyfriend and I live far away from each other." Sure, kid, but you get to see him now!

She shared the dubloons she collected in the show with him. D finally showed some bad attitude once she figured out we were leaving.  She hates leaving the parks.

Took a much needed trip to Costco on the way home.  D was pissed until she figured out what the rest of us have about weekends at Costco: free samples.

Her favorites were the spinach/artichoke dip and the fruit snacks.

Sunday I had to work. Boo. At least I got updates from Ian throughout the day. Ian let her dress herself.

Long sleeves and layers in July.  Good luck with that, kid.

No trip to Kohl's is complete without a visit with Papa Vader. Ian says she was such a poop at lunch he packed up their meal and ate in the car. I'm hoping to write it off as continued lethargy from her vaccines.

When I got home we decided to finally introduce D to The Wizard of Oz.

Turns out we really messed up here. First, she saw the Great and Powerful Oz. Then she started listening to and watching videos of Wicked with Idina. All the while riding the Great Movie Ride. Now she sees this movie and she is pretty confused for the first several minutes. Eventually she stopped asking questions and held utterly still for the last 45 minutes of the film. She was quite taken with it. Even if she kept insisting that even though Elphaba was mad then, she would be happy and nice later.  Oops.


The Weekly Peanut, Issue 180

The Weekly Peanut, Issue 180

The Weekly Peanut, Issue 178

The Weekly Peanut, Issue 178